Skip to main content

The most underpriced real-estate in the world!

When we are young most of us dream of being rich and famous. I was no exception and I made sure I started working towards this early in my youth. I sold contraband, got three jobs, started a business, and did consultancy, trying to add up the shillings and cents to meet my goal. At some point though (especially after finishing college) I discovered that sometimes the goal was just getting by. The reason I'd wake up in the morning, get myself to the office, answer calls and emails, meet clients and suppliers, write reports and proposals, balance books, was just to make payroll and rent. And even when the money came, it didn't bring any satisfaction, after spending  16 hour days doing the same-old, same-old.

When my business finally gained stem I really thought I had escaped the rat race, but by settling back into a routine just to 'survive' I realized that all I had done was change lanes. To further drive home the futility of it all someone told me that the worst thing about a rat race, is that even when you win, you're still a rat.

..and being a rat, you might end up like my friend here 

Q: So how do you break out of the rat-race.
A: You make sure you never get into it in the first place.

Different folks have their way of ensuring that they do not slide into the monotony and repetition of the rat race. Today I'll share with you a method that will not only save you from a rodent's existence but can potentially make you very wealthy.

The secret is real-estate.

No, not that real-estate which is measured in acres and hectares and in Kenya has been acquired mainly through patronage, sycophancy, and grabbing. For many of us born after 1980 and with slim chances of inheritance, that type of real-estate (at least in sizeable quantities) remains a scarce commodity.

The real-estate I'm talking about is the that found on the World Wide Web. As we move into the future, the hot properties will be those in cyberspace, where instead of acres and hectares we measure value by eyeballs and clicks. The best thing about this real-estate is that it is available and accessible at a very low cost. A domain name usually costs under than a thousand shillings per year ($12.50) to register and hosting is not much more. From there you simply need to put up a property (website with content) and if your property is good you should start getting tenants (visitors and users).

So to escape my version of the rat-race, I have been amassing this 'space' and constructing all sorts of 'property' to get 'tenants'. And today I welcome you as tenants to my latest property http://BuyMyKenyanCar.com. Unlike most car sites, which either ask you to list your car for a fee or free and sell it for you, BuyMyKenyanCar.com buys cars from Kenyans and pays instant cash. As a pioneering service, we hope to grow and learn with our tenants and inject some vibrancy into Kenya's used (reconditioned) cars market.

Welcome and enjoy your stay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cyber Cafe with an EDGE

Followed up from Laying the Groundwork for a rural cyber I've finally got around to writing this. Thanks for you all who patiently waited. Although I approached the project as an "internet consultant", I soon realised I would need to implement the whole spectrum of tasks required to get the cyber running. I spent almost a week laying the structured cabling, installing the software, and configuring the network. Most of the work I was doing for the first time (e.g. drilling holes in concrete to fix the trunking screws) and most of it was hard, but all of it was enjoyable. I needed to prove the project was implementable with minimal human resources (if it was going to work elsewhere). With an eye on both troubleshooting by the owner and future projects I prepared detailed How To manuals for most of the tasks. So the day finally arrived, November 17th I connected all the PCs to the internet. The results were incredible, the speeds were nearly as good as my 256K broadband conn

Differences between a Business Name (Sole-Proprietorship / Partnership) and a Limited Liability Company

While consulting for our online company registration service, Incorporator I find myself answering the question "What is the difference between a sole-proprietorship and a company?" Anybody who is considering starting a business must consider what type of business structure is needed for his or her particular situation. In Kenya there are three types of structures that one can use to start their business. 1. An LLC, or Limited Liability Company 2. A sole proprietorship 3. A Partnership A Sole-proprietorship and a Partnership are registered through the same manner (Form BN/2) with the exception that a partnership has more than one owner and although not necessary, entrepreneurs are advised to register a partnership deed as well. In this article all references to sole-proprietorship also include partnership. Understanding the advantages and disadvantages of each structure is important when deciding which one you want to use for your company.

Selling stuff online to Kenyans

You might not know this but my love of entrepreneurship is fuelled majorly by my love of computer programming. My first exposure to computers was in 1988 when I played shuffleboard on an Atari. Having been raised in the boondocks I was utterly spellbound with the concept of a video game. In 'shags' we hardly ever got toys from the shops; instead we would create our own toys using locally available material. For toy cars we twisted and shaped wire coat hangers and cut out rubber tires from old (and sometimes mom's new) bathroom slippers. For planes, we stuck a stalk of grass through a dried maize leaf and made our 'propellers' rotate by holding them out in front and running into the wind (incidentally this was my all-time favourite). For marbles we hunted for used and discarded bottle-tops (beer bottle-tops were coveted). In fact we had so many toys that our game time never felt inadequate. That was until I discovered video games. Hard as I thought I didn't see