Skip to main content

Firefighting

I hope this battery lasts....

I've mentioned in previous posts that I went to more of a concentration camp than a high school. No really it was that bad. Can I hear a shout from all my Rongai Boys peeps. Apart from the usual high school "chores" all students in form 1&2 also had intensive farm duty. I'm talking about at least two hours every morning before breakfast, half day Saturdays, and at least 6 weeks over holidays! The work was not cosmetic either. We ate from the farm and the supervisors ensured it produced. The piggery for obvious reasons was considered the worst but personally I found cutting and chopping 160kg of Napier grass before breakfast for the cow unit far worse. Something far worse though was midwife duty. Apparently pigs need a lotof care when ... birthing... calving... pigling? So when a sow was in 'labour' form one's would take turn at night seeing that when the process began, it went smoothly.

Thus, one very cold, very dark night I was rudely woken at the witching hour to be informed that it was my turn. After persistent unsuccessful attempts by my midwife predecessor to get me to wake up, frustrated he groggily walked off leaving the hurricane lamp and a stern warning of what consequences I faced if I did not take up the baton. Blissfully in my half sleep state I shrugged it off and snuggled deeper into my blankets.

The domino effect was catastrophic! Enough be said that the sow piggled that night and 5 piglets died as there was no one to watch over it and guide the piggling.

I was made aware of this the next morning and now fully awake I remained in mortal fear of my punishment which I doubted would be any less than a suspension.

It was a cruel and stressful time as those days I seemed to move from crisis to crisis. If it wasn't still born piglets it was broken equipment in the lab, or contraband found in my locker. I would spend every day putting out new fires only for more to pop up. It seemed that I could never cut a break.

Strangely and fortunately this time I did get a break. The issue somehow never developed and up to this day I have no idea why but thank the gods nonetheless.

Running my own businesses my firefighting skills are well developed and I have learned to accept it and be positive. These days what might have seemed an insurmountable problem is seen as an opportunity, a business death blow is viewed as challenge. I don't win all the battles but they do keep me fresh, hungry, and energized.

That said, today I face what could be my greatest challenge yet and this time like with the piglings I could do with a break.

The battery lasted! Take that Android!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cyber Cafe with an EDGE

Followed up from Laying the Groundwork for a rural cyber I've finally got around to writing this. Thanks for you all who patiently waited. Although I approached the project as an "internet consultant", I soon realised I would need to implement the whole spectrum of tasks required to get the cyber running. I spent almost a week laying the structured cabling, installing the software, and configuring the network. Most of the work I was doing for the first time (e.g. drilling holes in concrete to fix the trunking screws) and most of it was hard, but all of it was enjoyable. I needed to prove the project was implementable with minimal human resources (if it was going to work elsewhere). With an eye on both troubleshooting by the owner and future projects I prepared detailed How To manuals for most of the tasks. So the day finally arrived, November 17th I connected all the PCs to the internet. The results were incredible, the speeds were nearly as good as my 256K broadband conn

Differences between a Business Name (Sole-Proprietorship / Partnership) and a Limited Liability Company

While consulting for our online company registration service, Incorporator I find myself answering the question "What is the difference between a sole-proprietorship and a company?" Anybody who is considering starting a business must consider what type of business structure is needed for his or her particular situation. In Kenya there are three types of structures that one can use to start their business. 1. An LLC, or Limited Liability Company 2. A sole proprietorship 3. A Partnership A Sole-proprietorship and a Partnership are registered through the same manner (Form BN/2) with the exception that a partnership has more than one owner and although not necessary, entrepreneurs are advised to register a partnership deed as well. In this article all references to sole-proprietorship also include partnership. Understanding the advantages and disadvantages of each structure is important when deciding which one you want to use for your company.

Selling stuff online to Kenyans

You might not know this but my love of entrepreneurship is fuelled majorly by my love of computer programming. My first exposure to computers was in 1988 when I played shuffleboard on an Atari. Having been raised in the boondocks I was utterly spellbound with the concept of a video game. In 'shags' we hardly ever got toys from the shops; instead we would create our own toys using locally available material. For toy cars we twisted and shaped wire coat hangers and cut out rubber tires from old (and sometimes mom's new) bathroom slippers. For planes, we stuck a stalk of grass through a dried maize leaf and made our 'propellers' rotate by holding them out in front and running into the wind (incidentally this was my all-time favourite). For marbles we hunted for used and discarded bottle-tops (beer bottle-tops were coveted). In fact we had so many toys that our game time never felt inadequate. That was until I discovered video games. Hard as I thought I didn't see